Thursday, July 24, 2014

With This Ring...




I recently heard of someone else's engagement. He asked. She accepted. They're ring shopping together. They are officially engaged. Congratulations!


I recall when I got an engaged. I, too, said "Yes" before I was given the ring. At the moment I said “Yes,” we were engaged. A rude colleague at the time said, "Do you have a ring? If you don't have a ring, then you're not engaged."

In addition to being obnoxious, she was also just wrong. In modern times, we have tied in the giving and accepting of the ring as something not just symbolic of our intentions, but required as proof of our official engagement. However, just as a gifted ring doesn't mean you're engaged, not having one doesn't mean you're not engaged.


I have watched girlfriends excitedly exclaimed, "I'm getting married!" I've listened as one of their "friends" immediately says, "Really? Let me see your ring." Then observed the skeptical snub (eyebrow raised, lips pursed) that immediately follows when the newly engaged woman says, "Oh, I don't have it yet."

Other than ignorance (or being a hater), I have no idea why people would ask for proof of your engagement.  Do they ask for proof when they meet a married couple? "Let me see your rings and marriage license, please." Or proof you're a parent? "What a beautiful baby! Do you have his birth certificate?"


I don't need to see a ring to believe someone's engagement. Anyone who asks for "proof" is either not your friend or is terribly ignorant, and you have every right to state both of those.

I’m Constantly amazed at people…

No comments:

Post a Comment