Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Music & Love



I love how music enhances love, and love enhances music.

There are songs that will always be special to me because of the love memory they recall. It doesn’t matter that I’m no longer in a relationship or even in love with those men anymore, the songs still bring back memories of the specialness we shared during our time together.

Love Come Down by Evelyn King takes me back to dancing with one of my first loves.

Some "music love" memories are intimate and make me blush – even years later when I hear the song. Some "love music" memories are playful or just sweetly romantic – times of us dancing together, cooking together, playing games, riding in the car holding hands – a song plays and I relive those moments with a smile on my face.

Invitation by Norman Connors, Sweet Love by Anita Baker, Make It Last Forever by Keith Sweat, Adore by Prince…ahhh, such sweet romance.

Music has revealed to me whom I most cared about, whom I loved most deeply. I was amazed to find that I don’t have song memories for every man I’ve cared about or been in a relationship with, regardless of how long we were together. And then there are others who, although our time together was brief, are etched into my heart through music and memories.

So Fine by Howard Johnson… a sweet, innocent summer crush, oh so many years ago, but oh so unforgettable.

Some relationships have far too much music intertwined within them to even list.  And I will admit that the impact of music on love makes it hard to hear those songs, our songs, when the relationship has recently ended and healing is not yet complete. Ultimately, however, once healing has occurred, the songs bring warm memories, not sadness. 

Butterflies by Michael Jackson and Old Friend by Phyllis Hyman...heart-warming memories of happy times spent laughing and talking.

Over the years, there has only been one song that’s never lost the pain when I hear it – Congratulations by Vesta Williams. Even though it’s from a relationship where healing has long since occurred, the depth of the love in the memory of my heart is triggered every time I hear that song, which fortunately is quite infrequently.

And now, once again, music does its thing with new love.

Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars and Sunday Morning by Maroon 5

Oh, I just love how music enhances love, and love enhances music. 

1 comment:

  1. MUSIC HAS A GREAT ROLE IN THE LIVES OF MANY. NOT ONLY FOR LOVES LOST, BUT FOND MEMORIES OF YOUTH AND FUN TIMES. I REMEMBER ALL TO WELL. MUSIC CAN STIR DEEP WITHIN A PERSON FOR MANY REASONS.

    ReplyDelete