Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Your Game Face

How good is your game face? When you're hurt, scared, angry or just truly dislike the person you're talking to - can everyone tell just by looking at your face?

Or are you like The Mona Lisa? Can you give a smile when you're in the presence of a heathen? Turn on the charm and 1000watt smile when your heart is breaking? Take a deep breath and respond calmly, without sarcasm or irritated tone, when you're furious?

"Point of No Return" (a remake of La Femme Nikita) is one of my favorite movies. In one of the scenes, the main character "Nina" (aka "Maggie" and "Claudia") is taught to handle unpleasant situations - no matter how big or small - by simply smiling and saying, "I never did mind about the little things."

Are you able to do that - feel it and say it? Or is your hot and cold temperament meter completely apparent to everyone who sees you? Do people regularly walk up to you and say, "What's wrong?"

When you're in a meeting and someone says something you think is ridiculous, can everyone tell you think they're an idiot just by looking at your face?

Or do you hold your emotional cards close to your chest with only a select few able to identify your moods and truly know what you're feeling?

Are you more like the Godfather - who teaches his son, Sonny, "Never tell anyone outside the Family what you are thinking again!" Or are you more like Sonny whose every thought and feeling blew out of him like a smokestack?

I have been at both ends of the spectrum. I have cried at the drop of a hat - even in front of a crowd. And at other times, I've been seemingly cool as a cucumber but dying inside.

It's not easy.

Constantly Thinking...

5 comments:

  1. I can program my face not to register some emotions, but not my voice, my voice will tell exactly how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through some of the situations I have been through over the past few years I have developed a great game face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, this is the only game-face I can muster on a consistent basis: http://www.deletetheweb.com/unstuck/archives/alfred%20E%20Neuman.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to your last comment. I've cried at the drop of a hat and kept my emotions hidden from others at times.

    Depends on what's going on and the consequences of "being raw" over "controlled."

    Good questions Connie.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I exist across the spectrum on this one. My game face is tight, when I want it to be. Generally, my face details the type of attention I want. If I want people to be close to be ... I put on a welcome face. If I want them to inquire ... "What's wrong?" then I look pensive. If I want them to back off, then I look pissed. It truly varies.
    I think that proper control of your outward show of emotion is necessary and in many cases, mandatory. I agree with the GodFather, you should never let anyone outside of the family know what you're thinking. Unless, there is a personal advantage to doing so.

    ReplyDelete