Thursday, December 31, 2009

Do I Represent?

In answer to Shirley's question about whether I represent...

I absolutely do. I represent myself, my family, my race, my gender, Christians, my church, business leaders, artists (writer/directors), my companies (the one I own, and the one I'm employed by), my friends, my neighborhood, my former employers, my man (when I have one)...you name it.

Is it fair? It is what it is. Knowing people are going to judge me as well as everything they think I represent holds me to a higher standard. Frankly, I'm proud and honored to represent all the groups, companies and people who might hold me up to be a representation of them.

The only reason I mentioned in my blog profile that I'm a "Black female" is because I was talking about Black men and women. I wouldn't usually introduce or describe myself that way - because it's not necessary. But I wanted people to know that I was speaking from first-hand experience - not speaking against another race. I'm actually going to change my profile soon (and periodically), based on what I blog next.

Are you proud and honored to represent? Or do you consider it unfair or too much responsibility?

Constantly Thinking

1 comment:

  1. Hi Connie,

    Your response makes sense, people will judge us and categorize us as representing many groups, but I still hold fast to my own recognizance.

    A couple of exceptions to this, I do represent my family, and I hope I'm a positive representative as a Christian. Other than that, I consciously only represent myself.

    WHy? To do otherwise would mean that I accept that this is how I should see others....and I don't!

    Here's an example of how I view you in contrast to how you described yourself above:

    "Connie represents creative, intelligent, people who are purpose-driven leaders with the integrity to live up to their selected moral compass."

    You see, to me, "black," and "female" are the physical identities that God has given you as well as your faith, these will not change. (Usually)

    Everything else is transient and subject to change... your station in life, employment, partner, neighbors, etc.

    I identify you for your core of who you are that does not change. This transcends "whole groups of people" because they may not have your same character and you may not have theirs.

    That is how I want to be identified.

    Your friend,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete